Saturday, April 30, 2011

San Diego

At Net Optics trips come up fast. Some you know are coming up others seem to come out of the blue. For me this hasn't been the case but for Aron his experience and value to the company makes him one of the go to guys when the company needs a good technician to help out the big customers.

This last trip he had was to one of the largest cell phone providers in Europe, a company called Orange.

Well his sudden trip to Vienna Austria meant that his another customer he was working with fell into my lap. This company is Genoptix and is located just North of San Diego in a town called Carlsbad.

In order to get there in time. I was up at 4:45 to catch a 6:45 flight. I probably could have gone a little later but I didn't know where long-term parking was and how long it would take me to check one of Net Optics devices as luggage onto the plane.

Well I was pretty tired when I finally got on the plane so for the first time ever I fell asleep on a plane.

It was beautiful when I landed blue sky and sunny warm weather.  I know why people like Southern California so much!

I got a rental car, a Mazda 5 it's like small mini-van so not very exciting.  It would have been fun to get a convertible but no such luck :)

On the freeway I came up a hill and around a turn and all of a sudden the San Diego temple was right there!  It was really cool to see and I wanted to get a photo so I took this one while driving past the temple.


Once I got into Carlsbad I went right to the customer's site but I past a place called the flower gardens so when I was done I had to drive back there and get some pictures.  It's hard to really show how many flowers there were, but there were a ton.


Well now I had about an hour before I had to turn my car back in and get through security so I could hurry up and wait another hour.  So with an hour to grab some food and look around I couldn't go to far.  So I looked to see where this place was that I saw on TV to try for dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtYj5KjUzCM




This place was just across the highway from the airport so I thought it would work out great. That and I love mexican food. I got a steak burrito and it was filled with salsa and guacamole. It was really good!




And then after dinner with only about 30 minutes before I had to turn the car in and get to the airport so I went just down the road to see the ships. This is where I called my kids from and showed them on skype. Sorry kids I know you saw this on Skype but I thought I'd take another picture.



Then it was back to the airport to turn in the car and check in. The rental car place is like out by long term parking so you have to take a small bus to and from the airport. Once I was off the shuttle and back at the airport I checked the computer equipment back onto the plane as luggage and realized I left my phone back in the rental car.

So it was back on the bus for the long drive back to the rental car place. The bus driver got on his radio and called the office. They got my phone out the car and someone was waiting for me once I got on the bus. So I got off one bus and onto another for the long ride back to the airport. Then through security where I got to hurry up and wait to get on the plane.

It was a long day but I learned a lot!

Mostly that San Diego was really pretty ;)

2 comments:

  1. I wish i would be there because of the great sunshine! -lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok if you take another picture of the boat.-isak

    ReplyDelete